We are excited that, once again, through our Drug-Free Communities Grant, we are able to bring a key Coalition partner Lacy Arrowsmith, Health Education Coordinator for Nevada County Public Health, as well as two local high school students to participate in the Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America (CADCA) National Leadership Forum in Washington, D.C. February 4th – 7th.
More than a “conference,” the Annual National Leadership Forum is considered a “movement” and the Coalition for a Drug-Free Nevada County is excited to be a part of that movement bringing together 2700 substance abuse prevention and treatment advocates from all over the United States. Each year, nearly 300 students participate in CADCA’s signature National Youth Leadership Initiative and Youth Summit, empowering youth to be change agents in their own communities. Many of these youth accompany their adult counterparts to more than 200 CADCA-scheduled individual meetings on Capitol Hill.
For this year’s events, we will return to the Gaylord National Harbor on February 4-7, 2013! Here’s a recap of our attendance at the 2012 annual Forum:
- NEO representatives Lynn Skrukrud and Halli Ellis presented a workshop for the Youth Track portion of the Forum educating and informing attendees on how to implement change in their own communities through event planning and youth-focused positive alternatives.
- SAMHSA’s 8th annual Prevention Day offered inspiring speakers and training on prevention and treatment of substance abuse and mental health disorders. Attendees can view presentations here.
- More than 72 percent of registrants attended CADCA-sponsored State & Territory Meetings.
- More than 80 educational workshops were presented.
- Nearly 1000 people attended the Members’ and First-Timers’ Breakfast.
- The National Leadership Plenary featured CADCA’s Chairman and CEO Gen. Arthur Dean; Benjamin Tucker, J.D., Deputy Director of State, Local, and Tribal Affairs, ONDCP; Yury Fedotov, Executive Director of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime; and an inspiring keynote speaker, James Fowler, Ph.D. Watch it here.
- Federal Partner Power Sessions were added in 2012 and included presentations from federal leaders representing NIDA, DEA, NHTSA, SAMSHA, ONDCP and NIAAA. See their presentations here.
- 32 coalitions participated in the Ideas Fair as part of the Networking Reception.
- Capitol Hill Day Plenary featured Gen. Arthur T. Dean, CADCA Chairman and CEO, U.S. Army, Retired; Sue Thau, CADCA Public Policy Consultant; Rep. Karen Bass (D-CA); Rep. Mary Bono Mack (R-CA); Debbie Jessup from Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA)’s office; Hilarie Chambers from Rep. Sander Levin (D-MI)’s office; and CADCA Lifetime Achievement Award Winner, Lloyd Johnston, Ph.D., University of Michigan.
- Congressional Reception featured record-breaking attendance and speeches from Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA), Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr. (D-IL), and Rep. Danny K. Davis (D-IL).
- CADCA’s National Coalition Academy saw 150 coalitions graduate from the year-long training program.
- 350 people got to have a breakfast conversation with the SAMHSA Administrator.
- More than 1550 attended the closing National Leadership Awards Luncheon.
- Also at the luncheon, CADCA’s first group of VetCorps recruits took the AmeriCorps Pledge as they enlist in a new program that matches military veterans and coalitions in 100 communities.