10 Resolutions That Show Your Kids You Care
- Teach your children to trust you by seeing you as a role model.
- Be patient, not just tolerant. Apologize when you make a mistake or do something you regret.
- Ask teens what they need from you – and do whatever you can to meet those needs.
- Listen to your teens, a lot. Avoid interrupting.
- Teach your children about ethics, values and principles they can apply in choices and decision making.
- Help them discover the feeling of gratitude, not just to say thank you.
- Keep the promises you make. If you do not keep your word, acknowledge that. Help your teen understand the circumstances or choices that precipitated the change in your plans.
- Answer your teen’s questions and be consistent. When you notice behavioral changes in them, make yourself available and encourage them to talk about what is going on in their life.
- Be understanding when they have a difficult time and let them know you will love them no matter what.
- Be diligent. Have ongoing conversations with your kids about the risks of drugs and alcohol.
Best Wishes for a safe, happy and healthy New Year,